Sunday, November 20, 2011

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,                                                                                                                                   
Or help one fainting robinUnto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

                  "If I can stop one heart from breaking" is a poem where Dickinson suggests that if she could help one person with his/her relationship, her life would be a success. She motions "If I can ease one life the aching." I believe this statement gives the poem a deeper meaning. Dickinson not only feels that if she could keep a heart from breaking, her life would be successful. She also feels that if she could help mend a heart that has already been broken, and make it whole again, she would have a life worth living.

                   Dickinson's diction, figurative language, and imagery develop the idea that she is passionately concearned with helping others heal their once broken hearts. From quotes in the poem, I am lead to believe that Dickinson had a broken heart at the time this poem was writen.

No comments:

Post a Comment